The sewing backlog gets shorter

My backlog is getting shorter, thankfully, thanks in part to clearing out a skirt I started on in January. Or was it February? No matter, it’s wool, and not terribly seasonably appropriate, but at least it’s done.


This is BurdaStyle 1-2011-114, a flared, gored skirt per the magazine. I had bought two yards of a dark taupe-y wool crepe and decided to make something that worked with the drapey-ness of the fabric. The picture on the model shows an upper calf length skirt, so it looked like a perfect match. Well, that model is an Amazon, folks, because the unaltered pieces on me were just grazing the top of my ankles. After taking six inches off, I think I should have taken off more. This is not a length that I have ever worn as I like my skirts right around knee-length. But hey, stepping out of one’s comfort zone can be good, and I don’t think I want to re-hem, so I’ll get over it.


When I picked out the pattern, I didn’t initially notice that it calls for finishing the waist with petersham ribbon, which I do not have; so I decided to cut a straight waistband piece. I did not start with my desired finished waistband size, so I think I went with a piece 2.5 inches by 40 inches with the intent to deal with it later. I cut the skirt panels out in a size 44, which ended up being a bit too big, so I took it in by an inch in total from the side skirt panels. There was no side seam as the sides are each made from three side pieces, but it worked out well enough.


I interfaced half of the waistband only because I didn’t think to make it as wide as the cut fabric. Then referring to my Reader’s Digest Sewing Guide, I decided to go with an underlap to the waistband as opposed to the overlap I was initially considering. I love the picture above with the tons of fasteners as I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than one row of fasteners used.  Looking at the back waist, I think I’ll add a small snap to stabilize the underlap, which looks to be wandering already.


The hook and eye are the no sew, add to the waistband before closing it up variety as I’ve never been happy with the ones that are sewn on after the fact. I can never find these at Jo-Ann despite the fasteners being Dritz brand, but Hancock carries them, and I consider them well worth the hassle.

What’s sewing without having to raid the toolbox for a set of needle nose pliers?


I made a rolled hem using a technique that I read about years ago, I think in Threads, which is my go-to for fabrics too robust for the 6mm rolled hemmer foot. First I baste a line a quarter-inch from the edge, use that basting line as a roll line and baste close to the fold. Finally, I switch to my quarter-inch foot and from the right side of the garment roll the fabric under one more time and stitch at a quarter-inch. The raw edge ends up encased and with turn of cloth, I used my 5/8″ hem allowance. It’s a bit of a thread hog but I like it. I finished off the whole project by slip-stitching the waistband shut. Hand sewing, you say? But I hate hand sewing! I know, I know, but the stitches disappeared marvelously in the fabric, and I was tired of hunching over the sewing machine by that point. I’m sort of proud for making me do something I don’t like to do.


Lastly, I am learning how hard taking your own picture can be, let alone on a routine basis. I have always felt awkward in front of the camera, and while it’s just me and the tripod these days, I still struggle with posing and not feeling silly. So I deliberately took ridiculous shots and was surprised with how much I ended up liking them.

Woo hoo! I can balance on one foot!

Jumping in heels is hard, dammit!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s